Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad 2015 UCS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiocad

Structural
Apr 6, 2001
US
Trying to get the ucs functionality similar to what I had in previous versions, but cannot for anything remember which setting it is that I am missing.

In previous versions, I could rotate the use as, UCS - Z - pick 2 points (not anwhere specific, I could pick 2 points on an angled line, NOT located at the origin)....
In 2015, the first point is relocating the origin, then x, and positive Y, as in UCS 3point, in older versions.
I liked being able to set the ucs angle, without moving the origin from where it was at.

UCSFollow set to 0
UCSDetect set to 0

Sorry for the brain freeze.... Have gone through this every upgrade, but cannot find my notes this time. Can't even remember if it is a setting, or combo of settings.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the response, and that does what I want it to, if i know the angle. If I'm trying to leave the origin where it is, and snap the angle to a reference line somewhere other than at the origin, doesn't work.

I'm hoping this isn't one of those "improvements" they included, and started deleting options. I often want to match an angle, but not move the origin, and prefer not to have to move the origin, to snap to reference lines, then move the origin back.

Tool pull down menu>new UCS>object which is the line where you want to reposition the UCS; then you can use ortho or repeat the above procedure to rotate the UCS.

If your'e dealing with ACAD's new propensity to autosnap to a UCS parallel to a face of a nearby object instead of the UCS you set,
Try this:

on an "AS NEEDED" basis, hit your F6 key. This turns off the effect I described above. Note the little ICON at the very bottom turns grey . its "Allow/Disallow Dynamic UCS".

Ok, let's say you've regained control over your UCS. Now what ?
WELL - I use Z-AXIS VECTOR constantly. All you have to do is show what direction you want the Z-AXIS to go, and ACAD sets X & Y "normal" and ortho to the Z-AXIS in a VERY useable way ! I showed this to my new group at a previous employer, and this ONE trick switched all of the guys (and 3 ladies) over to ACAD 3D (from strict 2D) directly. Their problem was that you could often NOT select 3 points reliably, among all of the rats-nest of tessellation lines of a wireframe model, and get predictable results, but ONE origin pick with OSNAP running and ORTHO on, or base point and NEAR if the line you want is in the model but not ortho to a base UCS in the model, and you have a new working plane. With F6 off, it didn't drop to a nearby model surface, but stayed with your Z-AXIS pick !

Try these. I think you'll really like the results !

Good luck, and post back with results ? -

-C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back