Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD batch plotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinkit

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2006
US
This question is going to require someone who is familiar not only with AutoCAD but also Microstation.

I haven't used Microstation in several years (different A/E firm) but at the beginning of a project all the "working" drawings were set up (those drawings that are to be plotted) and saved as a plot file. (Darned if I can remember the filename extension -- I think it is prf.) This file would contain all the plot parameters, i.e. the sheet size, the layers, the colors, etc. This file never had to be touched again because whenever a project was being issued, a user would just send all the prf's to the plotter and it would plot out the current version of said drawing WITHOUT having to open the drawing.

With AutoCAD each drawing must be opened and then sent to either the plotter or a file -- even when you are using the batch plot utility.

I could probably solve this problem by writing a lisp routine, but there again -- can't remember how to initiate it. The problem with using the batch plot utility is if some yahoo changed the settings on the "working" drawing because the batch plot takes the latest settings.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a project that has about 200 drawings that are going to be issued shortly and I hate to think that I have to check each and every drawing before using batch plot.

Oh, we are using AutoCAD 2004.

Thanx bunches.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just a note. When you "plot to file" in AutoCAD, it creates a PLT file. In reality, this is a HPGL file that can be dumped to many printers for instant printng. I suspect the PRF file you mentioned may be along the same lines. Note, the PLT file is exactly the plot at the time of printing. Note! any changes to the drawing after printing are not reflected in the PLT file. I do not know if this helps at all but it is FYI.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Sheet sets are helpful for plotting large projects. but i don't remember if it became availabel in 2005 or 2006. maybe you should upgrade. it saves a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back