Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AutoCAD Copyright 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perception

Structural
Feb 4, 2015
US
Not sure where to ask this question. I’m looking to publish an engineering book, and want to know about the permissions/copyright needed to use AutoCAD drawings I drafted in the book.

Do you need permission to use AutoCAD drawings in a book? Do the drawings have to be produced on a specific type of AutoCAD license to be publishable (i.e. Business License, etc.)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You said you drafted them. Are you the engineer or architect of record or the owner of the company that drew them? If not, you'll need permission from the engineer/architect/firm who owns the rights to the drawing.

As for software licensing, I would assume a full business version as you'll be using the output commercially, but that would be a question for AutoCAD.

First I had the same idea as previously mentioned. Assuming that you have permission / right to publish the drawings and you use a AutoCAD version that is intended for commercial use, there should be no problem.

But then I remembered something. A few years ago, I browsed through a book on modelling techniques in structural engineering. In the book there were a lot of screen shots from different software's. And there was always a text like "Screenshot from XX reprinted with permission from XX", all the screenshots were easily identifiable if you knew the software. I have never written a book and I assume that most engineers haven't. Could there be some limitation in the use of a software in this regard? At the time I just thought the comment in the book was strange but maybe there was a good reason [smile].

Seems like a slippery slope if Autodesk was to try to restrict that usage. At what point would sending a set of drawings to a customer be in violation?

To be safe, I would think you could just export the files in an open-source format, and use a commonly available file viewer (a quick google search yields several) to grab screenshots? This avoids any potential issues related to Autodesk's proprietary UI and rendering. Is there a reason this wouldn't work to err on the side of safety?

I just don't see that as an issue; it would cripple the publishing industry if Microsoft claimed copyrights to anything written in Word. It's your creative content, so AutoDesk or Microsoft should have zero claim on your intellectual property.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back