Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD drawing viewer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaird

Electrical
Mar 31, 2000
When I go to open an archived drawing by AutoCAD my viewer works sometimes and sometimes doesn't. Has others had this problem? Is there some kind of setting for this? If I open the drawing and then resave it, the viewer then works for that drawing. What can be the problem?

David Baird
mrbaird@hotmail.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Newer versons of AutoCad will not preview DWG's saved in older versions. I had the same problem with all my library files.The only way I could fix this problem was to re- save them as the new verson.

Thanks for replies.

SpeedCAD.....
No it is not a block. These are archived drawings on our network drive saved under the job file folder.

AFab.....
We thought of that too and viewer seems to work for awhile when drawing is saved under latest version of AutoCAD. But days/weeks later same problem recurs with same drawing. There are presently only two of us Control Engineers and we both have same version of AutoCAD. However, there are other engineers/managers having access to these drawings and I suppose they could be on different version of AutoCAD. But this would upset me if I found out they are "saving" our drawings when open/closing as they are not qualified to do so.

David Baird
mrbaird@hotmail.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

Now let me understand... you say viewer: you mean the preview window (when you trey to browse among drawings prepasring to open one of them) or just the usual display of Autocad (like after you open a drawing).
Because this is my case: I open an Autocad drawing and see nothing... if I select something imaginary on the screen I start seeing the grips and the highlighted lines in my drawing. If I plot the drawing it comes ok on the paper ! Only the zooms and the image itself are dead !!
In my case I suspect it is becauuse I have the tendency to open too many programs in the same time. Usually after I close everything and open again only Autocad everything is fine...

DORU:
Yes, the preview window. Our typical schematic package for a job contains from 12 to 24 drawings all saved under the job folder for the S.O. Say I want to later go back to a particular drawing and don't remember which sheet out of the package it was. Consequently, I want to click on/highlight each drawing one at a time to view in the preview screen tell I come to the drawing I'm after. My viewer for this preview window does not always work. So then I must open each drawing tell I find the right one. A very time consuming effort!!

David Baird
mrbaird@hotmail.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

I do not know which viewer you have,
but ours will not allow us to view
the drawing if someone has opened
the drawing in acad on their computer.
We have to go to the administrator to
see who has it open. Nice system.

I'm not sure if the viewer works the same way with W-blocks, as it does with drawings. But if you zoom into an block befor you save it you should ba able to see it.
Try to zoom in until you can see what you need to see and try again,maybe that helps, that works for me when i save blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back