Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD expert switching to Microstation (need advice) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phreaxer

Military
Jan 10, 2007
US
I'm starting a job Monday that is having me switch from AutoCAD to Microstation and I'm really nervous. I have a working copy of MS at my house and I can't seem to get into it... My AutoCAD brain is clogging my Microstation brain. Does anyone have some advice? TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The most useful thing I've learned so far is that you can use AutoCAD commands in MS by prefixing them with a \.

Otherwise, MicroStation is completely unintuitive to anyone who has used any other CAD program. I'm in the same boat as you, having some experience in AutoCAD and a fair amount in Terramodel. MS is a mysterious wench who regularly suffers from PMS for me.

Your company may have free access to online training; mine does. Of course I have to get the projects out the door before I can use it... but thank God our company has amazing CAD support.

thank you for that! That is such good news. At least I know I will be able to do SOMETHING in MS! :D:D:D:D Thanks for the advice about training also, I will look into it.

Relying on your ACAD strength is not actually good in the long run when you have to live with MS. Yes, learning may be frustatingly slow in the beginning but persist. In a few weeks' time you will feel much better.

Ciao.

One additional piece of advice is going to save you time and money. Of course your are with the military, then it is because 47 Departments of Transportation Use all of the programs to deal with cadastrial mapping. County and City Agencies use it as well. Plus, the standards have been developed in MS by the Feds any how.
Regards,
Namdac

No it will not be hard as you thought. What you need to remember is the command structure. It's just a CAD program, you need to draw line,erase line, modify line, or draw in 3-D. its all the same with all CAD programs. Just keep to the task that you perform and it will fall right in your lap.
Regards,
Namdac

Over 10 years of pipe design and I'm having a bear of a time getting the switch accomplished because I'm looking for a new job. First question, do you have any MS? So I thought I would look into training.

How do those online classes fare for the AutoCAD to MS user? All of the training I've found has been very expensive, some as high as $2,000/day.

Bentley has a specific course tailored for AutoCAD users making the switch.

If a company won't hire you because you don't have MicroStation experience you probably don't want to work there anyway. They'd just be looking for a CAD tech to churn out drawings and won't have any respect for your design experience.

PostedbyPost,
There are several places one can look to find tutorials on numerous disiplines. FHWA Western Lands Division has a bunch of step by step tutorials for Geopak. Check ask inga, check links......etc.
Does your company have a select services contract with Bentley?
If you do you have everything at your disposal, tutorial, sample, VBA......etc.

francesca,
You sound very angry. Everthing ok? After I worked in the private sector I realized its not all about what CAD Programs you know it's how fast can you crank out drawings. I recently was approached by a firm. (Currently I work for a DOT). They wanted me to come to thier firm and be the CAD Manager and teach all thier techs in how the State turns out work. Makes sense, yes. I told them my salary requirements, Vacation Time.....etc. til I told them I wanted 5% of the profits. They said they can't do that. Its a case of I want something for nothing. If it is'nt the way you want, make it the way you want!
Regards,
Namdac

No, I'm not angry! But if a company won't hire you for a design position because you don't have experience in their particular CAD program then they're not looking for a design engineer, they're looking for a glorified CAD tech. Nothing wrong with being a CAD tech, unless you want to be a desing engineer instead.

francesca,
Where I work (DOT) I too have been shuned by others because they thought I could'nt do work. Oh well. I currently just got promoted to the design floor, from the tech area. I spent 5 yrs. eating other peoples crap and trying to meet thier deadlines because of poor planning. I came on board I have 2 Bridge Replacement projects that were handed to me I currently am 3 yrs. ahead of schedule. I use 3D to design with and use the 3D for Public Hearings. I will be giving a presentation on 3D and 3D line styles next month for my co-workers and the Director.
Just remember one thing if they keep coming to you to get fires put out just do it, in time you will be recognized for your talent and abilities. Just keep chugging along it will come soon.
Regards,
Namdac

There are other options for training that have not been mentioned in this thread. Axiom has online training, pay as you go. I have not personally used them but I know the company and I have seen demos and it looks good. ProSoft is another very good option, this I have used and will continue to as needed. I purchase their manuals which come with data sets so it is self paced. They know how to write training manuals. Are you located in Florida? If so I can offer some other options, I will wait for a response so not to bore you with details. HTH, Joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back