Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AutoCAD - Grid Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJYork

Structural
Sep 22, 2004
US
My current firm uses grid lines that do not go through the entire structure. The generally stop the grid lines at the structures extent. In general, other places I have worked took the grid lines through the structure to pass through all columns on the grid line.

While I understand the bases of both drafting techniques, which way do you show the grid lines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use all the way through the plans. Sure makes it easier to follow what column is on which line, especially where two columns are close to each other (at expansion joints for expample).

Not sure what benefit is derrived from stopping the column line short of passing through all the columns that are on it?

I agree with Jae and lkjh about taking them through where you have columns etc on grid lines. Thats the more common practice. Having said that, we do stop them short too sometimes especially on setting out drawings , where the building outline is substantially different on one side of the building than the opposite side and just carry the common ones through to avoid too much clutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back