Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AUTOCAD HELP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staed79

Structural
Jan 28, 2008
US
WANTED TO KNOW , IF ANY ONE OF YOU GUY'S HAVE COMBINED 2 OR MORE FILES INTO ONE,IN AUTOCAD..

THE REASON, IS WHEN I WANT TO EMAIL A PROJECT FILE WITH XREF I DONOT WANT THEM TO TAKE THE TROUBLE TO SEE WHICH FILES ARE MISSING, ARE THOSE X-REF FILES IMPORTANT TO THEM...ETC.
AND I DON'T WANT THEM TO TELL EVERYTIME TO SAVE THE FILES IN SAME FOLDER..OR SOMETIMES THE XREF FILES DONOT SHOW UP.

IN MICROSTAION YOU COULD DO THAT..I TRIED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF..WANTED TO KNOW..IF SOMEONE HAS TRIED IT SUCESSFULLY...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE..
BEFORE POSTING HERE, I SEARCHED THROUGH THE HELP FILES, WHICH AVOIDED ME OF MANY REDUNDANT POST..IN PAST
AS YOU HAVE USED E-TRANSMIT..I BELIEVE..
IF YOU SAVE A FILE IN THIS FASHION BUT LATER DO CHANGES TO FILE, DOEST CHANGES TO FOLDER AUTOMATICALLY, OR DO I HAVE TO USE THE FUNCTION AGAIN
HAVE YOU USED THE .EXE FUNCTION TO TRANSMIT FOLDERS TO OTHER INDIVIDUAL WAS IT SUCCESSFUL

It will not update automatically. You need to use eTransmit each time. It will send all files bundled together for the recipient. It works well.
Also, please turn off "caps". It looks like you are yelling and is a little harder to read.
Thanks.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated Apr 30, 2008)

you can also "bind" your xref files so that you have just one file. Typically this is a good idea at the end of the project or to transmit the files to the client.

The problem with Bind is...if you send someone the files for updates, you get back one file. You would have to fix the dwg and Xref's to change it back to match the original.
I don't use Bind unless it is asked for and I don't want it back.

Chris
AutoCAD 06/08

I was looking for function like Bind, initially...But as cvg say's i would not use Bind till i know, there would not be any updates to the file or DWG, since by using etransmit we donot have to think whether we have attached all the xref files to be e-mailed...

Thanks all for your advice...

P.S.. Just to clarify, will changes to binded files cause any change to original files?

Only if you bind the original files. I have seen this happen by mistake.
eTransmit makes a copy of the originals and sends them.

Chris
AutoCAD 06/08

From my experience, binding is only good for archiving a drawing at a certain stage in the design. That is the extent of its "helpful" use in my opinion.

eTransmitting is the best way to send files to a client.

Personally, when preparing a transmittal setup I choose "ZIP" as the transmittal package. Under transmittal name I choose "Overwrite if necessary" and under transmittal options, I choose "Place all files in one folder". This makes it alot easier for the client where now they can just access all data from one folder.

This varies for everybody, of course, but it helps to see what others do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back