Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AutoCAD: How do I stop OSnap defaults from overriding @(relative x, y) coordinates? 1

racookpe1978

Nuclear
Feb 1, 2007
US
Snap is "off" Grids are "off"
OSnap defaults are Cen, End, Insertion point (for blocks), Intersection. I really don't want to continually change these either.

But. When I run a line (or dimensions, or move a point to a new point) particularly when in a complicated area with a lot of existing geometry, I am getting many "zero length lines" or invisible dimension lines, etc - Most often when I am using an @(relative x,y) entry.

Looked back in previous question to 2017, didn't see this problem earlier.
In the dialog boxes, what settings do I set wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing immediately jumps out because I get this only when using imported geometry, not when creating it myself. Imports from PDF or other drawing formats especially can get overlapping and zero-length lines. I usually expect to do a lot of clean-up on these. OVERKILL might be relevant to you.

Creating new geometry and lines, in a crowded place... I usually zoom in (scroll wheel) until I can distinguish the destinations for the clicks. Note that I usually don't draw freehand with AutoCAD. It's either snap to snap, or typed coordinates, or vectors from an origin point. These won't create a zero-length line unless the snap went astray or I typed something wrong.

Can you describe the problem in more detail, or provide a file? Please down-save your DWG to the lowest version that still replicates the problem.

On the subject of OSNAP, I usually set Mid, Int, Ins, Cen, End, Nod.

Weird stuff can happen when your normally 2D drawing happens to have some (erroneous) objects with a Z component in their coordinates. No, you didn't do it on purpose, but some clumsy finger hours ago might have introduced an error that you didn't notice. I learned this the hard way in my early days with ACAD.

When you type vector coordinates (Origin, @x,y,z) do you usually include the Z coordinate, even when it's zero?

If you were to select all of the objects in the drawing, and then check their properties, would you find them all having a Z-coordinate of zero "0"?

Not sure if I fully understand the question, but I`d hit f3 to temporarily turn off osnap, or type "non" to temporarily turn off osnap settings for that 1 command.

Accurate, helpful info. My symptoms match the (Default, or "Incorrect For Me") setting for this Setting.
I will reset the value.
From your link, the following is repeated:

OSNAPCOORD (System Variable)
Controls whether coordinates entered on the command line will override running object snaps.

Type: Integer
Saved in: Registry
Initial value: 2
Value

Description

0 Running object snap settings override keyboard coordinate entry

1 Keyboard entry overrides object snap settings

2 Keyboard entry overrides object snap settings except in scripts

But in a more general question, where is this setting in the OSnap or Snap or Drafting Dialog Boxes or Menus?
Asked differently, how is one to find and reset a value that is "invisible"?

Not all system variables can be set through user accessed settings, but this one can be apparently (I read online, didn’t verify):

Tools/Options/User Preferences/Prioroty for Coordinate Data Entry ... select "Keyboard Entry" vs "Running Object Snap".

Back