Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD/HydraCAD Voice Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaColl

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2007
CA
Yes this is correct.

I’ve been looking into repetitive strain injuries for designers that use some type of CAD program. I am a Design Engineer for a Fire Sprinkler company with a small design office. After some time bouncing around the net I found some voice recognition software capable of being incorporated into AutoCAD. In my opinion the biggest drawback to AutoCAD is having to keep one hand on the mouse/design devices and one hand on the keyboard. One option is to rewrite the configuration file with you most used commands to keep 4 fingers and 1 thumb on the keyboard. I’ve seen this done with great success. One machine designer I worked with was consistently 2+ commands ahead of his computer (amazing to watch). Unfortunately for the rest of us this is not the case, Constantly having to take my hand off of the mouse to type commands even using the quick ones. I brought this topic up in the office and got a huge amount of ridicule. Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of application? What I basically see is setting up the system so you have your thumb on the space bar and pinky on the ‘ESC’ key with the other hand the mouse. By using a combination of voice commands, menu commands, AutoCAD buttons etc. to spead up the design process.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, we are using AutoCAD 2005 with HydrCAD.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AutoSprink VR has the voice recognition built into it. It further increases productivity. I have not tried it with AutoCAD.

It does take a fairly quiet office to make it work.

While I am impressed with the technology, I can see a frustrated code official saying "these plans suck" and an automatic "disapproved" stamp appearing.

If it makes my design professional friends happy I can hear you saying "the fire marshal is a puddinghead" and the printer announcing "would you like to print the plan submittal coversheet?"

I'll sit back and let you pros work. I couldn't pass this up, especially on a Friday morning.

That is hilarious!!!!

I used to have guys try to run in the office and say:

"Quit" "NO"

Trying to get the program to end and not save changes. Thankfully, I was smart enough to reconfigure those commands to not use those words :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back