Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AUTOCAD MAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
I USE AUTOCAD 2000 AND 20002 BUT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AUTOCAD MAP. WHAT IS IT AND WHERE CAN IT BE MOST USEFUL IN ITS APPLICATION.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi chicopee,
I am currently temping at a small telephone company that uses Autocad Map for its' map records. The beauty of this program is its' ability to add attributes to objects which are connected to a database. For example, we can click on a telephone pole and get information about the cables it supports, number of guy wires, if there are aerial drops to houses, which other companies may also be using this pole (i.e. cable, utilities). And, by using reports from another application, we can generate reports that contain information about the Work Order numbers that placed certain items and the dates of each item placed.

It is very helpful to be able to verify ages of parts and also track total amounts of materials and equipment used throughout a large service area.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Hi chicopee,

We use map for it's ability to convert between different coodinate systems. Before Map, we would take our XY coords and use an external program to convert these to lat/longs, then import or cut/paste these back into cad. One of the best features for me is its ability to redraw parts or all of a drawing that was drawn in one coordinate system into another. If you've never dealt with this aspect you really can't appreciate it.

Stephen E. Motichek
Project Consulting Services, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back