Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD question-contour lines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceseng

Civil/Environmental
Dec 6, 2008
US
I have a 1-foot contour drawing, they are a group of ploylines.

each polyline represent an elevation value, however, It is not labeled. In order to know the elevation, you have to click the polyline to see the property table.

How can i label these polyline properly? the software I use is AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may have better luck posting this question in the Autodesk: AutoCAD forum. However, if you type "labeling a surface" in the help window, it will give you step by step directions on how to do this.

Do what odestguy suggests or just write the elevation values above the contours. Afterall you only have to write these numbers every 5'or 10' intervals.

Hi,

There is an old 'express tools' command called arctext that would do that for you. However 'express tools' were dropped way back in V2002.

As already mentioned go to the Autodesk discussion groups, those guys can recreate any old command that you need or show you as many different new workarounds for any problem you come across.

I should also mention that the autodesk discussion groups are nowhere near as friendly or tolerant as these forums.
There are many very helpful people there but there is also a lot of guys with lots of attitude and egos to match. I'm not trying to turn you off them, just pre-warning you to be prepared for something a little different to what you are used to on these forums.

HTH
Michael

CESENG,
i am at home, do not have access to Civil 3D currently. check back your thread tomorrow morning; i will give you a detailed step by step on how to do this in civil 3D.

Go to General > Toolspace on the Menu Bar.
Right click on the Surfaces in the Prospector in the Toolspace Palette and choose Create Surface, press OK on the dialog box that pops up.
Expand the Surfaces tab and the Surface1 that was just created and the Definition.
Right Click on Contours and press OK when the dialog pops up.
Select the contours in the drawing.
You can either hover over the surface and the elevations will show up as tooltip or you can change the surface style to show contours and then add contour labels to the newly created surface using the Surfaces > Add Surface Labels > Contour Multiple.

Christopher
I'd also suggest hitting F1 and using the Tutorials from the right side of the help menu.

what Christopher says is right, only if you want to label surface contours. i believe CESENG is looking for a way to label polyline contours (not a part of surface yet). here is how to do it:
1. go to toolspace, expand GENERAL>LABEL STYLES
2. expand LINE, right click on BEARING ONLY, select copy, give it a name (elevation).
3. go to LAYOUT tab, delete BEARING component, then click on the big A left of the delete sign, select TEXT.
4. under TEXT, click on contents, in the pop up window, go to dropdown and select general segment start Z (or end Z, should be the same for contours)
5. repeat the same process for curve (below line, under label styles, to make sure you can label curved contours as well.
6. once this is done, in civil 3D main window, go to GENERAL>ADD LABELS, select LINES AND CURVES for FEATURE, your previously created label styles for LABEL TYPE (both line and curve), then click ADD. pick on the contour line now you want to label.
hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back