Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD RENDER BACKGROUND COLOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfee

Industrial
Apr 22, 2002
US
An associate is having a problem that I thought I knew the solution for, but no luck.

In the past, I was able to change the background color for simple renders (No, NOT interested in "Sun Studies, etc.) by setting the background color to WHITE in the OPTIONS dialog, under the "Colors" tab ...

He already knew about this and had failed trying to go from black background to white.

I tried his model on my machine, with no luck either.

Yes, lots of folks prefer working with a black background, I get it. The problem arose when we couldn't get a white background for renders, so we decided to try simple screen capture of the component and couldn't get a white background there, either. Even tried "Plotting" to jpg. No joy.

... and what's with the bold outlines in the "Realistic" viewport mode ? Nothing "Realistic" about unwanted lines in a viewport image ! Tried setting widths to 1 and zero - no joy.

Gone are the days when you could apply materials, change your background to white, run and save a quick render, post it in your catalog, and move on. Oh well.

Thoughts?

Btw- tried logging in to AutoDESK "Community" (noting that the last post there on this topic is dated 2012) with no luck getting logged in, either. Submitted username and password, got message that I was already logged on, and forwarded to a blank white screen. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same ! But look at the bright side - at least actual product improvements aren't required anymore to force us to pay to upgrade ! Anybody wrestled with the new purchasing model lately ?!

Thanks -

C.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Still seeking.

There was a time (pre- ACAD Mental Ray) where the render was controlled by the basic ACAD settings, and simply setting the Model Space background to WHITE was sufficient. The rendered background would come out white, the result could be saved to a crisp high-quality bitmap image, and inserted into a catalog or used as a diagram in a document with a great deal of success. The resulting render was virtually indistinguishable from what others were getting from their high-end renders, was vastly less expensive, and worked right out of the box. Now, maybe not so much.

Thoughts ?

Thanks -

- C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back