Autocad Structural Detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

strawhats2000

Industrial
Jan 23, 2012
MU
Hi,

I have just install the Autocad Structural Detailing (Release 2012). Does anyone has any step-by-step tutorial or sample drawing how to use the application for detailing process to BS Standards. I am also looking forward to know the difference between the following CAD Autodesk packages: Autocad Structural Detailing, Civil 3D, Revit Structure, Robot and Prokon. I am very concerned regarding the lack of resources wrt to Autocad Structural Detailing. It seems that nobody cares to write documentation on this application. Is this due to a steep learning curve or the application being unsuitable for the purpose or some other reasons?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Autocad Structural Detailing
is used to produce shop drawings to show the detailing of the reinforcement with its type , shapes ,lengths.it can also draw the bars easily as a double lines to present its width to facilitate clash detecting between bars.
Civil 3D
I think,but i did not use it,engineers who deals with roads ,surveying, roads elevations and runways of airports.
Revit Structure
Like traditional autocade in producing design drawings but the main big different is that revit draw every element in 3D and the user create s his proper views to get required presentation ways.the most important advantage in revit is the easy of modification.any minor or major changes will reflected immediately in the whole 3D Model.
Robot
is an analysis program like SAP and etabs.
Prokon
you Can be considered as a compiled excel sheets

AutoCAD Structural Detailing has two manuals:
1. "Getting Started" which is a tutorial to help figure out the basics.
2. The reference manual which describes all of the tools that is in the software CD.

If you have access to a Laser printer which you can print on two side of a paper sheet, then you can print both manuals.
If you want to make a book, then look on the web for book binding and there are sites which sell binding products. I found out how to make my own clamp to hold the pages together and apply hot melt glue strips to bind the pages together.
Using this method, I've been able to make manuals for old software. My latest is Rivet Structure 2005.

I am not a competent user, I am still a novice. I am "retired" so I have the time to learn on my own.
The hardest part for me was to generate a stick model of the structure in Structural Detailing (SD), instead I created the 3D stick model in AutoCAD and imported into SD. I then converted the sticks into SD structure lines. That let me make the sticks into steel sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back