Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad to SW Sketching, Autodimension and Auto Relations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisnewzealand

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2009
AU
In my company I am often asked to take Autocad drawing of the cross section of extrusion profiles and convert them into library features for Solidowkrs weldments.

The process I use is to Copy/Paste the drawing into a sketch then go through each of the lines and click relationships such as horizontal and vertical and also make tangent. I then dimension all the lines.

Is there a quicker way to do this? A button I can press that will make all the relationships (add a verticle relationship to all the verticle lines etc) and also all the dimensions (as all the lines are already in the correct position)

Thanks in advance, Chris.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The nearest to the "easy button" is to use the Tools > Dimensions > Fully define sketch function. It has a Relations section which allows relations to be applied when the dimensions are added.

An alternative is to window-select all the sketch elements, and select the Fix option in the Add Relations section of the Property Manager. Dimensions, if required, will have to be added manually, and as Driven dimensions.

Whichever method is used, the sketch elements should be moved to place the Origin in a logical location.

I've had to do this quite a bit in the past. Use the fully define sketch button as CBL suggests. It can also be found by right clicking in the graphics area.
By default, the origin is going to be picked as the datum point. highlight that selection and choose a point on the sketch. This will change the datum point. Use the same point for both horizontal and vertical. You'll get a message about the sketch not being fully defined, just say ok. You can then drag the appropriate point onto the origin and your sketch will be fully defined.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Instead of copying/pasting the .dwg into a sketch, can you import the .dwg into a new part? When importing a .dwg it gives you the option to automatically "add constraints."

Joe
SW Office 2008 SP5.0
P4 3.0Ghz 3GB
ATI FireGL X1

I suggest using JMarv's method for importing. I do alot of imports thru dwg format for graphics and board layouts. I think it will also read existing dimensions so you do not have to add new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back