Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autocad vs solidworks 3d

Status
Not open for further replies.

biff44

Electrical
Oct 19, 2004
US
End of the quarter sale going on at solidworks. I have been evaluating solidworks recently. I like the format, and it seems to be gaining traction with some of my clients. However, one big downer with Solidworks is that the files are not backward compatible. In other words, if I have Solidworks 2009 package, I can not open up a file that someone sends me in Solidworks 2010. There is no way for that person to save the file in the previous version. That will force me to buy the maintenance package along with it, which, for a small electrical eng consulting company, is a big expense each year. Since I have to send files all over the place to various clients and machine shops, I would be forced to get the maintenance contract.

My question: Does the Autocad version of a 3d drawing package also have that same limitation, or are you able to save the files in a previous version?

Maguffin Microwave wireless design consulting

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you referring to Autodesk Inventor (the Autodesk equivalent of SolidWorks)? You should not be comparing AutoCAD to SolidWorks.

Assuming you really mean Autodesk Inventor (which you never mention)- no, the files are not backward compatible in native format, the nature of parametric history based modelers like Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro/E....

But you can save the files in a neutral format like STEP or ACIS that can be read by any CAD program.

Autodesk Inventor also includes AutoCAD for free (thus the package name AutoCAD Inventor Series).

Service Packs are free with Autodesk products.
Must be on subscription to get SolidWorks Service Packs

JD
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional

Yes, excuse my ignorance. I meant to say autodesk inventor in comparing to solidworks. My only experience with autodesk so far has been autocad lite package I own.

Just curious, since you are certified in both...if you had to choose one for a small company, would it be autodesk or solidworks?

>>>the files are not backward compatible in native format, the nature of parametric history based modelers like Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro/E....<<<
I've always thought it was a marketing decision, pioneered by the Pro/E guys and parroted by everyone else. I can't conjecture a mechanism by which the limitation would be intrinsically part of 'the nature' of parametric CAD. But no one I know has been able to cut a different deal.

Files going to clients would ordinarily be PDF format in my experience.
Files going to manufacturers would most likely be DXF format, also supported by SW and most other CAD packages. The files typically have to be filtered somewhere along the line to remove all but geometric data so as to not confuse primitive CNC controllers.

Files going back and forth among collaborators would necessarily be in native format, in which case, yes, all team members need to be using the same package, same generation.

I've tried using 'neutral' file formats; most work just well enough to force you to say they do work, but you always lose information or time to the process. You also typically lose all or most of the parametric features for which you paid so dearly.

I've also been forced to use PDF files as input to AutoCAD, by collaborators who had a different understanding of the word 'collaborate'; much time wasted.

Maybe Open Source will eventually get around to doing transportable parametric CAD, but right now the Parametric CAD Vendors Oligopoly stands squarely in the way, and egregiously wastes our time in addition to rapaciously devouring our money.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sounds like some university or group of geeks need to get together to write an open source version of a 3D drafting package!

I guess for now I just have to pick one and live with it!

Solidworks is a HUGELY successful program. Meets the needs of its market, even in light of the limitations discussed above, with great success.

That having been said, the ability to take a model and pack it out to ACAD no matter what pipeline you use (dxf dwg step acis,etc) or native drawing transport, makes Inventor a HUGE option. Get with a local AutoDESK dealer. You'll be amazed at what they can share with you in terms of strategy, etc. AND for free. They want to make a sale too ! AND given the ability to communicate with ACAD-3D, you open up the entire world of users (including small machine shops who may need to modify a part to massage the cnc code) who are limited to regular ACAD for their 3D because their companies can't or won't afford the Inventor part of the package. Add to that DIRECT dwg transferability for collaborators, and the ability to publish for your clients, shops, management, etc in SUCH a wide vatriety of formats (dwg, PDF,DWF, etc.)to meet the downstream needs of others you serve, AND get their responses back in a useable format requiring minimal effort to re-condition for inserting into the design, well, you can see where I'm headed with this.

Seriously- get with a reseller. Talk to at least 2, as you want some competing input to base your decisions on. They'll not only introduce you to the details of the appropriate strategies, they'll help you with learning and implementing them. I'd recommend an intro training course and pay for some extra 1-on-1 time to meet your specific needs, especially the ones you mention here. There's nothing accidental about what we do. This will pay HUGE dividends in the future, and you'll be much happier with the results.

If you decide on Inv instead of S-W, your S-W prep can be leveraged in an intro Inv course, as 95% of the functions are typical, and your session will largely introduce you to Inv's way of doing what you already know.

If you go with S-W, that's a good option too, but some of the additional info may come at a premium you might not like having to pay. Time for some real due diligence !

GOOD LUCK ! And let us know how it goes !

C. Fee

when you get Inventor, you get AutoCad (vanilla), AutoCad Mechanical, Vault, etc.

I love SolidWorks, but Autodesk products pack a lot of features.

I find no compatibility issues between AutoCad files and SolidWorks or exporting dwgs from SolidWorks. I enjoy using SW much more.

-todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back