Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCAD2WaterCAD Conversion methodology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotownMutt

Civil/Environmental
May 23, 2001
US
Hi again,

Can you please tell me if you've found it easier to change the pipes to different layers, (depending on size, mat'l), in AutoCAD before DXF'ing the file into (Standalone)WaterCAD, or is it more manageable in WaterCAD?

Thank you,

MtM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you create a DXF file of an AutoCad drawing that has pipes, those pipes won't be usable as pipe elements in the WaterCad model. You will have to draw over them using WaterCad's junction and pipe tools. This might the WaterCad model cluttered, so what you might want to do is turn off the pipe layers before you create the DXF and once in WaterCad, just "eyeball" the pipes into place. And if you need exact pipe lengths, then you can then go in and edit the pipe length manually (ie. changing from a scaled lenght to a use defined length. Once you have your pipework in place you can then colour code the pipes based on size, material, etc....

Waterguy,

I am using the Polyline to Pipe conversion utility. What I would like to do is to set the default pipe size to, for instance, 8" CA, then DXF in all of the 8" CA linework; then reset the defaults to, say, 6" PVC and DXF in all of the 6" PVC.

I've already started differentiating the pipes by layer in autocad, but tried a test run of the above method, and wasn't able to differentiate between pipesizes, although it would convert all of the polylines to the default size.

Thanks for replying,

MtM

MtM,

I've never heard of the Polyline to Pipe conversion utility. Is this a new feature in the latest version of WaterCad or a third party application ? When you DXF in the second set of pipes does it change the size of the first set of pipes you brought it or does it eliminate them completely (the first set) and replace them with the second set ? Can't really help you much here, except to check and see if multiple DXF insertions are possible.

Hey Waterguy,

Yes, there is a Polyline 2 pipe conversion utility, I'm using Standalone ver. 4.5. I'm beginning to think I wish I had the AutoCad version, tho.

I've been told by a Haested guy that multiple dxf's should work, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Hopefully, I will get back to it before I leave today. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

MtM

Okay, it's pretty straightforward after all.

To bring in the DXF file:
File>Import>PolyLine To Pipe...

To change default pipe:
Tools>Prototypes>Pressure Pipe...

Thank you for the help,

MtM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back