Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoclave corrosion coating for BLDC stator/PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESTinker

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2017
US
Need some help with a coating to protect the iron of a BLDC stator and PCB boards. I've been getting issues with small BLDC motors with rust and electrical issues (open/shorts) on the stator and PCB hall sensors that are caused by autoclaving the motor. The motor is placed in 10 minute autoclave steam cycles (134°C). Things I have tried are nail polish, silicone based conformal coating, and high temp petroleum jelly. They all work a bit just want something better. Potting 2 part epoxy re-sin will work but I like something that I can brush on the stator and PCB components in room temperature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0c784547-db66-43c7-b57a-319cc380bb40&file=IMG_20170602_091602.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do not use a steam autoclave on these parts! They will get soaked in water and probably not even get fully up to temperature and dried-out in 10 minutes. An air circulating oven will get these parts to temperature, but will likely need more than 10 minutes. I assume you are doing this to sterilize the parts. If you feel you must use a steam autoclave to comply with some FDA regulation or other established procedure, then preheat the parts in an oven before autoclaving. This will prevent condensation inside your motor.

What Cpro said. Also, from experience, there is no brush-on conformal coating that will seal out moisture vapor. Even 2-part epoxies will give you conniptions. You need to find somebody who can do parylene coating for you, and then talk to them to figure out your best options.

EST, listen to both of these guys, I have been in a similar situation.
Parylene and preheat combined are your only hope, and add a dry out cycle on the end.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I was afraid of that, what would be the best option for a 1 part room temperature solution for this (ie. silicone conformal coating, RTV, nail polish....)? I just need something that I can apply myself easily that will survive the most autoclave possible.

Thanks

If you do it yourself a single cycle is probably all that you can rely on.
You need something that is thin, warm you parts, soak and pull a vacuum, then drain and cure.
Silcones are good for temp but not so good with water.
Pay for Parylene, it works.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back