Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autodesk LDD vs. StormCad & Pondpack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike17650

Civil/Environmental
Dec 20, 2001
US
I am considering whether to purchase StormCad and Pondpack programs by Haestad Methods. We just got Autodesk LDD 3, which has Civil Design modules for designing storm drain systems, and stormwater management ponds. We have used previous versions of Autodesk LDD for grading and road design, but haven't really utilized its hydrology/hydraulic design capability. I am looking for some feedback from those who have used or tried both Haestad and Autodesk LDD softwares (which is easier to learn, more user-friendly, efficient, etc?). Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I should point out that the LDD and StormCAD are not mutually exclusive. StormCAD features a good Civil Design connection (aka PipeWorks). Most users will use StormCAD for design and analysis and leverage the connection for storm drain plots and profiles to present the results of the StormCAD simulations.

You might try posting to StormTalk.
Lots of Haestad users hang out there.

We have LDD3 and the hydrology program runs the TR-55 work fine, but the basin routing routine does not work properly. The program does not attach the structures properly, and the setup is extremely confusing. Several in our office have tried to get the basin routing to work (ie. the structures to attach at the proper elevations) but it doesn't work properly no matter how many different ways we try it. We now have to manually produce a discharge hydrograph in order to route the basins. Because of this, we have recently purchased the Haestad Pond Pack program, but have yet to utilize the new Haestad Software. Its a shame to have spent this kind of money, only to find serious flaws in the software! Good luck.

In addition to what others have stated, LDD will not calculate pressure flow in a pipe system (aka surcharged). As soon as we get StormCad v 5, I will be in heaven. Supposedly, you can lay out your pipe runs in LDD via alignments and pipeworks, export that into StormCad, do your vertical design (pipe size and inverts) and then export that back into LDD.

Brian

We have PondPak, and talk about co$t. I would not recommend PondPak. PondPak incorrectly sets the peercolation rate of the pond to zero at the bond bottom, so it may take a few days for the last 6 inches to perc out. With a dry pond design, the factor for the perc rate should always be 1.
PondPak will not allow me to evaluate the 1, 2, 4, 8 and 24 hour duration, 25 year events to determine critical duration, but rather calculates the critical storm based on the site Tc. The storm it determines as critical, may actually not be The critical event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back