Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated Hole Cutting in Pressure Vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

wade

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2001
US
Can anyone help me to find manufactures of automated equipment that will cut preprogammed holes of various sizes and locations in pressure vessels.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wade:

Are you talking about CNC equipment for a vessel that has the plate already rolled, or are you looking for equipment to cut the plate in the flat, like a roll out?

We used a CNC plasma cutting under water to cut nozzle locations in the flat. Equipment was a mixture of controls, linkages, welding heads, etc... from various manufacturers. The software we used was Sigmanest.

Let us no more of what your looking for and may be able to offer more.

Scott

For a rolled vessel, it could be done, but your envelope sill be quite large. You will primarily need a welder/head that can travel in three axis'. The fixture/jig for the vessel will need some good engineering design along with the fixture to hold/place the welding equipment properly.

The above "answers" are something you probably already know, but was just a thought. It may pay to do some engineering cost analysis and see how cutting them in the flat would compare to cutting them already rolled.

To find equipment manufacturer's I would check with your wedling supply company and their rep's first. They should be able to direct you.

I am looking for sumberged arc welding equipment that wold weld a nozzle in a pressure vessel that is already rolled. Can anyone help me with this?

Appreciate your assistance.

Dear Folks;

Williamson Industries Inc.
would be a starting point. They manufacture hot tap pipe fittings for the attachment of a variety of drilling fixtures which can drill into an in-service pressure vessel or pipeline and create a new tap or branch. All this is done while the contents of the vessel are under pressure and nothing is shut off. The fixtures retain the metal cut blank or "coupon" for later removal.

Hope this helps

Adrian D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back