Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Automatic Hazard Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRstuff

Aerospace
Jun 3, 2002
US
I was watching this video from a roundabout in Milwaukee, which I guess is their version of the low bridge collision video site:
The hazard lights come on pretty quickly after the car does its thing, but did they automatically come on because of the collision, or did the presumably intoxicated driver had such presence of mind to turn on the hazard lights, but not enough to even make it into the roundabout in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know; but don't want to test their cars to find out.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen that a lot of crash videos and believe it is automatic under many circumstances - too often for dazed or confused drivers to manage. More than once have I had a lengthy search of a dashboard to figure out where the User Interface guys hid what should be a prominent button.

I'd give a 100% likelihood of being linked to airbag deployment.

However - I see this for Smart (brand) cars:

Activating the hazard warning flasher
after an emergency braking maneuver
If you bring the vehicle to a complete stop
by strongly braking at a speed of more than
43 mph (70 km/h), the hazard warning
flasher automatically comes on as soon as
the vehicle is at a standstill.

As far as I can tell it's not required nor prohibited in the USA so I suspect makers are adding this

Can't tell in the video what the car was. Lots of european cars automatically turn on their hazard-warning lamps after an "event". I'm not sure what the criteria are for triggering them.

Yes, they appear to come on at the moment of impact before the vehicle even stopped moving. On modern vehicles there are both physical and software triggers for these events, physical sensors being on the body and also in some of the electronic modules.

Actually had this happen to me last week! A stupid deer jumped in front of my vehicle (on the freeway, at night) and smashed the front end. I'm fine, but the airbags deployed and the hazard lights went on. After the tow truck arrived, I turned them off using the normal switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back