Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically capturing syslogs when NX fatal errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXsupport

Computer
Apr 11, 2008
US
Hi,

Has anyone attempted to capture syslogs and transfer it to a different folder so the sys admin can take a look at what caused the fatal error , when it happens in NX?

Also, I was curious why does NX does not have auto save option like other CAD systems have.. NX has a reminder to save option, but not actually saving the part file..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When NX crashes, a syslog is automatically saved. Granted, there's an option to NOT save them, but even if this is set, if NX crashes, it's not able to delete its own syslog since it just crashed ;-) Now it may be true the the syslog will fail to actually capture the 'fatal' event because, well, you know, it just crashed and therefore it stopped writing stuff to the syslog. And before anyone suggests that perhaps NX should be smart enough to know that it's about to crash and so it could write some extra data about what was about to happen. But of course, if NX really could detect that a crash was about to happen, then I would rather spend the R&D dollars on figuring out how to make NX smart enough to know what to do to avoid actually crashing in the first place.

As for a so-called 'Auto Save' option, trust me, if NX did have one, after about a week, it would be turned OFF by over 99% of the users. And even if it didn't prove to be irritating, with the way NX is able to have multiple files open at once, like when opening an Assembly, and how when editing one file, it could flag another file as modified even though you have NO intention of ever saving that file, how then would you like NX to save which files? The different options that people would eventually need in order to make this option do what people would want it to do would, in the end, would make it so complex that, like I said, after about a week of tinkering with the settings and getting burned by NX not saving what you expected, or worse yet, saving something that you didn't want to be saved, you would disable the 'Auto-Save' option and never think about it again. When I was still working for the company, we had this discussion with customers all the time, but when we sat down with them and started to explain what this would actually mean and when we started to ask them about different scenarios and situations, it didn't take long before they started to understand that perhaps they didn't really need this as much as they thought that they might. Besides, the consensus was that something like this would lead to a sense of complacency and would tend to allow companies to ignore implementing proper back-up and archiving procedures, to say nothing of giving the actual users a false sense of security.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Hi John,

Thanks for the explanation.. Thats awesome.. Really appreciate your inputs and thoughts on this.. I have been asked the same question on Auto save for almost 10 years now.. I always gave a response very similar to your explanation. But today it feels after seeing your response, that i was actually close to the think tank at Siemens.. :)

There is also the env variable:

UGII_KEEP_SYSTEM_LOG=TRUE

Which I have set in the past, to retain the log. It may not be needed anymore, I just comment/uncomment when I'm trying to sort out an issue.

-Dave

NX 11, Teamcenter 11

the syslog is by default saved in the folder :
C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Local\Temp
If NX disappeared or hangs/seems to hang, search this folder for ".syslog" and set the sorting to the "date modified" column.

Regards,
Tomas

Hi Toost and everyone..

Thanks for the feedbacks and responses..

@Toost, I know the location of syslogs.. I was interested in whether we can have automated way of capturing the syslog and move it to a different directory when fatal error hits in the application.. If the syslog is stored even when the fatal error hits, then I will check my IT team to come up with process to capture this and move it to different location so Application support engineer can take a look and see what was the user doing or intended to do which might have caused the fatal error..

For the Sys log naming, is there a format, pattern or reason to what it gets named? I guess where I am going with this, if you can write a simple batch file that you can run, after a NX crash which can send the file to whom ever you wish, or copy it to a network drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back