Automating a Linear Actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotpho

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2010
US
Hi guys,

I am trying to make a system that drives an object in and out at a set a time automatically. The speed, power and precision does not matter. What matter is programming it to automatically move in during a set time and retract and then later repeat the process all by itself.

I, however, have no experience with actuators or even know how to program once I get my hands on one. What exactly will I need besides the actuators itself? I did a little digging and I probably will need a control board, relay, and time switch but I"m not entirely sure. Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the replies.

@Mike

That's actually what I am looking for. Earlier I was searching "programming linear actuator" but it didn't produce the same results like I did with "programmable."

The only problem is that most of the programmable actuators offer are above 300$. I am, however, looking at Firgelli which looks it can be under 200$ but I would like to see if I can buy the parts separately.

@Brian

Stopping point doesn't matter but I would like to keep the stroke short, so about under 6 inch.

I can find rather cheap liner actuators on ebay but I would need to find the correct micro-controller to program. I will research around some more to see what I need.

Thanks for the help.

@mcgyvr

You are right. A crank slider did cross my mind because I can just 3d print the parts but I still need it to activate on a timer. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to make a programmable though and run on some sort of motor. I believe that a linear actuator seems to be right direction but I am open to suggestion for an alternative mechanism.

I'd think some sort of control of the stopping point would be needed. If you're relying solely on flow rate and a timed "ON" period you run the risk of the actuator eventually hitting its end caps.

I'd suggest a small PLC. It will give you outputs to drive a valve and also programmable timers. There are also inputs if you decide to incorporate limit switches.

Again assuming your lack of details would allow something as simple as an off the shelf 24 hour lamp timer and just power the motor from a wall wart plugged into the timer.

@mcgyvr

I guess the best example I can give you is that it needs to push against a door and close it at a certain time. It just need it to do this task once just for an experiment. That's really the best example I can give you that's close to what I am doing.

@itsmoked

I looked at air cylinders and they are rather cheap. It seems like mcmaster sells it. Are these easily programmable with a micro controller or does any one have experience with these?

One of my colleagues has given me a cheap arduino hardware for me to use. Thank you all for the advice. Not sure when I will actually have the chance to finish this since this is just a side project but I will let you know the results ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back