Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automobile rust protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefrog

Chemical
Jan 17, 2005
CA
Hi
I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything in this forum. Saw these ads in flyers for electronic rust protection. Seems it uses cathodic/anodic/electrostatic electicity. See counteractrust.com .
My first impulse is 'snake oil!' But I'm still open minded. With all the different kinds of metal in an auto, I could see this thing actually promoting rust. I wonder what it would do to the electronics/computers.
Then I got to wondering about something else. In autos, we use the frame and sheetmetal for ground. So, is it possible, by using things like headlights, fans, and other electrical devices, there are galvanic reactions going on all the time? Is simply using our cars promoting or inhibiting rust? It probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but it might be interesting conversation in, a forum, for example. Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Such items are common in the marine industry. Everything from simple passive systems using a sacrificial anode made of zinc, to systems that actually use an electric current between the sacrificial anode and the boat hull. For a boat in salt-water, a current path is setup between the anode and the hull to counteract the normal galvanic reaction to insure the lower potential anode (zinc) is corroded first. As to these car anti-rust systems, I can't see how the current path for the water coating the car is sufficiently conductive without voltage drop to accomplish anything. But, should you drive your car into the bay, they would probably work fine!

I've seen these ads for devices for cars also, but I've always assumed they're in the same category as the 'instant engine rebuild' pills that you drop in each cylinder, or the magnets you put in your carburetor to ionize the fuel and increase mileage. A fool and his money soon go seperate ways.

I'm thinking the same thing; unless your car is regularly in water, like a boat, there is not a regular complete electrical circuit, so any protection would be spotty.

Considering the quantity and quality of anti-rust coatings on automotive metal and the use of composites in autos, is this really a major issue any more? As long as you don't damage the finish (crashes or scratches, etc), the modern automobile can easily go 10+ years without any rust showing.

If anything, I remain amazed at how good the automotive finishes actually are.

I remember discussing these in my first corrosion course.

Reported experience was that it did actually create some pretty severe rust in areas away from where it was attached, as you mention it might.

Hi, Looking through the forum and see this post. I used Jenolite before. I went to their website and they have a few different forms and one product has a built in red oxide primer that is handy. I personaly restore classic bentley cars (ex auto eng) and use it for that . Jenolite was around years ago and has always been a great product, it looks like they are a part of RustSolutions now? Anyway, if you need to protect metal jenolite is top notch and I hope it helps you. The other product I see (but havent used yet) is Jenoseel - This is the the one with built in oxide and it has been used on electricity conducters and power stations as well as other metal structures. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back