Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Automotive Component Design Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhodie

Industrial
May 29, 2003
US
It was after some contemplation I place this question here in the 'other topics' forum. I am not sure if it better belongs in another place...

Speaking in generalities, I've been approached by an acquaintance to help with the concept & design of a mechanism intended to lock wheels on a trailer. An anti-theft device of sorts.

He knows I am an 'engineer' and has asked me to help him prototype out his concept. I have no issue with helping him to this end, however I have significant concerns about the method that he has elected for use. I am looking to articulate to him a codification or specification that is widely regarded in the automotive design world, specifically one that defines permissibility of an 'interference' type device that locks a wheel hub in place. I'm no automotive engineer, but on the conditions of fail-safety and hub movement upon the axle I think the whole idea is flawed.

Of course, in the interest of being critical and yet productive, I'd like to direct him to a specific resource that addresses this rather than 'my gut feeling'.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with Bribyk, check out SAE standards for more information. Here is a list of SAE standards with wheel in the title:

text_fld3=&text_fld4=&charset=iso-8859-1&col=portal&ht=0&qp=%2BTYP:STD&
qs=&qc=&pw=100%2525&qt=&sae_qt1=+%2Bwheel&ws=0&la=en&qm=0&st=1&nh=25&
lk=1&rf=0&oq=&rq=0&si=1&ql=a&jsp_name=advancesearch.jsp&REQUEST_FROM=&
dtr=Any&dt=an&inthe=604800&amo=7&ady=11&ayr=2009&bmo=7&bdy=18&byr=2009&
maxdocs=200&submit=Search

In my home town the local library has a copy of the SAE handbook (which is 4 volumes). Universities with an engineering program should have them as well. Otherwise you need deep pockets to get anything from SAE, even if you are a member for $75 a year dues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back