Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Automotive Electronics Protection Circuit - best Practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDW

Automotive
Jun 26, 2011
GB
Hi Guys,
I would appreciate your thoughts on the following.

Looking for a gerneral purpose design that will provide protection and 5 volt regulator for use in Automotive microcontroller applications.
The holy grail would have a small foot print on the PCB, pretty bulluit proof and a sensbile cost....and not hyper complex if I can help it!

The system should the usual protection from;

Sustained over current draw
Transient voltage spikes
Sustained over voltage
Reverse Battery

A preposed cirucit built from individual surface mount parts is.
2ut6qua.jpg

Regulator
Micrel LDO MIC2920A Reg. A 5V 400mA regulator, with reverse protection to -20V, Transient protection to 60V, internal current limiting. Which is a great all round package but I still feel I should provide some front line protection as well. Will also need to provide enough heatsinking on the PCB. It will need the usual caps on the input/ouput but i think I can use 1206 SMD ceramics.

The Front line protection would consist of

Fuse
PTC resettable, 16V, 350mA Hold, 750mA Trip. I would preffer a high operating voltage and PTCs always have a significant gap between the hold and tripping current so you need a serious problem before they will trip But what else to use?
I could use a standard SMD fuse but its 'Return to Base' if any thing happens for repair, which is no good really. And some devices will be potted solid.

Capacitor
A 33uF electrolytic - provides some basic filtering.
But what voltage ?? The lower the voltage gives a smaller the package but I dont want it to pop. The supply will rarely exceed 14V so can I get away with a 25V Cap? Or will a transients blow it ?

Zenner Limiter
18V 3W Zenner Limiter - Anything over ~18v will bleed off, if the over voltage is sustained and excessive, the PTC resettable fuse (FS1) should (eventually!) trip.
In a reverse battery condition the Zenner will conduct forwards and the PTC should trip.

TVS (transient voltage suppressor)
Vishay TransZorb - SMAJ24A 400w, Breakdown 26V, Clamp Voltage 39V. This should catch any of the nasty fast transients.

SO... I'm looking for a robust but realistic design that I can move between various small projects. Is the above overkill / not enough / Just wrong!
Thoughts?

I've not found any 'all in one' protection solutions for automotive applications, anyone heard of one?

Cheers for your input, John.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah but its varies a great deal and basing my general purpose circuit on an exact copy of stuff from 10 years ago may not be using the best available parts for the solution. I would like to get it as small as possible foot print and some old designs use big stuff. J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back