Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automotive engine oil systems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRW261

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2004
US
This is more for curiousity than anything else. But are automotive engine oiling systems designed to be "slow" dynamic systems?

What I mean by "slow" dynamic systems is that there are no pressure drops due to viscous resistance in oil gallies.... just across journals, lifters, filters, ect. I guess my thinking was that you would want some journal blow-by to keep the local oil temps from getting to high but with out causing issues to the furthest bearings and lifters due to pressure drops.

So roughly what flow-rates are common in larger v-6 and v-8 (4.0L to 6.0L) designs when new?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i guess i was shooting for flow rate through the pump or filter... just a range would be nice... i know it will change with respect to rpms and design

While maybe not the exact answer you're looking for I've always read that a good safe(note I don't say optimum) oil pressure rate(which surely relates to your "flow rate") for V8 automobile engines(namely the smallblock Chevy) is 10 pounds of pressure for every 1K engine rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back