Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autorun.inf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparweb

Aerospace
May 21, 2003
CA
Sorry if this is a bit below this forum's normal IQ level, but here goes:

While writing an Autorun.inf file for a CD, how do I test it, without burning a CD? MSDN doesn't seem to cover that part. I never get it right on the first try!

Thanks

STF

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I navigate to its working directory all the time. It doesn't run. Windows searches for - and runs if it finds - the Autorun when a removable media is inserted. Is there any way to "trick" that process?

STF

Try "burning" your CD as a USB drive, like a thumb drive. It is also removable media and will execute the autorun.inf that is in the root directory as soon as it is inserted and mounted.

--
pansophic

I've been fighting with this as well, but for a different reason. I use computer labs all the time, and like to listen to music from my usb drive. WinXP doesn't seem to run autorun.inf files from usb drives, or any removable drive for that matter, just dvd and cdroms. talks about DRIVE_REMOVABLE disabling autorun. So if anyone knows a way to get some kind of autorun working on usb drives, I'd really appreciate it.

Just a thought, but I'm willing to bet most school computer labs would heavily frown upon ANY media with files the computers will automatically run on insertion. Viruses spread all too easily using those methods...

Open a DOS prompt. Create a virtual drive with..

C:\SUBST L: C:\ReleaseTest

This will create a drive with a label "L". You can see it in win also. To delete vir.drv just type "SUBST L: /D" in dos prompt.

Hope this helps.

PF J:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back