Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aviation Incandescent Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicSheep

Structural
Nov 5, 2013
AU
Does anyone know whether aviation incandescent light bulbs used for various cockpit lighting are special in any way? How precise do voltages need to be? How sensitive are they to ripple/noise/spikes/etc in the power supply?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not special in any way. Standard 24 or 28 volt bulbs when they are incandescent, or 12V in smaller/older propeller planes. Many instrument manufacturers buy an industry standard bulb from a source known for higher quality, but you can probably find the same bulb at a local auto supply. Many instruments today are LED or CCFL or other types that may require an authorized service facility. Normal system voltage may be typically 18V (engines starting) to 32V max with normal voltage of 27 to 28VDC.

BTW - in the truck market they may call it 24V. In the aircraft market they call it 28V. In either case it's the same voltage equivalent to two 12V car batteries.

A lot of military aircraft used electroluminescent panels for the instrument backlights, since they need to be dimmable without changing color, which incandescent bulbs cannot do. The incandescents tended to be for button backlights, but I'm guessing they're been replaced with LEDs.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Quality is important as vibration resistance is needed.
Some critical indicator lamps are dual filament, and some are deliberately run at low voltage to extend life (48V lamp run at 24V).
The other reason to use EL is that it is vibration proof (until a connector breaks). They also have a very long life.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back