Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AVNT variable turbo control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrufdog

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2007
US
I reading this thread thread71-153696 posted ny JustinJones. I'm new here and wanted to contact him directly but saw no way to. So here I go.

I'm looking to do the same thing to my older 6.5 Turbo Diesel. I've done some research on the subject, and creating a simple PWM circuit is easy enough. However, within having the trubo in front of me, for a couple weeks, I'm trying to do some research ahead of time to control this turbo.

Has anyone done this here and can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know of diesel tuning enthusiasts who have installed PWM controlled variable geometry turbochargers onto engines that are purely mechanically controlled.
They've replaced the vacuum operated actuator with an actuator from boost pressure operated wastegate. Plug in the pipe onto intake manifold and you're done. Some tweaking is needed, but I reckon you'll figure it out.

The variable geometry mechanism shall become self governing, once it gets the feedback from boost pressures in the intake manifold.

thats works great on a VNT turbo, but the Garrett AVNT is a bit different. The actuator is internal and part of the oil system. The actuators are purely electronically controlled, and move a valve inside the housing that redirects oil pressure to one side or the other of a piston, that piston then moves the cam for the vanes.

6.5L diesels are fragile enough. Last thing they need is more boost. ;) ever thought about adapting your boost control solenoid feed from your truck to control the VNT.

I'm not looking for more boost just yet. That will come with the 18:1 motor. I'm looking for a quicker 15 PSI, and also doing this just to see if I can do it. Later next year when the new motor goes in, I'd like to be able to use this as part of a sequential twin turbo setup.

I've thought about using the stock boost solenoid signal. I'm buying a handheld oscilloscope this weekend to take readings from an 07 Duramax and my 97 to compare. Either way however, I'd like to create a circuit to act as a manual boost control on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back