Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

avoiding stupid errors with ceramic material as structural material - some white paper or reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chedalb

Mechanical
May 30, 2012
CH
Dear all, I have to re-evaluate a thermomechanical concept for a structure and I am inclined to think that Aluminium Nitride is as per datasheet satisfying quite of my requirements (though i have to start doing a thorough analysis).
But as I am a "metallic structure" kid I have no experience in handling brittle materials and recommendations on how to handle inserts and e.g. how to avoid concentration of efforts (well, other than what indicated in the books of structural design).

Have you knowledge of white papers on how to handle/recommendation the use of ceramics for structures?

any hint is welcome!
thanks
Edo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start with Kingery's Introduction to Ceramics. Then you might try Creyke's Design with Non-ductile Materials. I strongly encourage you to talk with suppliers' sales engineers with full disclosure of your design objectives. Some rules of thumb I use in my discussions when using dense, fine grained polycrystalline ceramics. Weakest in tension. Approximately twice as strong in shear and roughly ten times stronger in compression. Remember, these are just general rules of thumb. Additionally watch out for thermal and mechanical shock. Keep changes in cross-section as small as possible. Try to keep fillet radii as generous as possible to minimize stress concentrations. As a class, ceramics are low expansion coefficient materials so be sure to account for the CTE mismatches.

Bruce

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back