Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVR Card Connections (Exciter Stator) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelectengr

Electrical
Jan 16, 2012
PK
Hi all!

I have a 1 MW generator, from exciter stator i have two wires coming out for connection on AVR for supply of controlled(through AVR) dc supply for production of exciter rotor's voltage.

The problem is that both leads are of yellow colour and are identical means no mention on which wire I have to connect to positive of wire and which wire to negative. Kindly help to identify which wire to connect to plus of dc and which one to negative of dc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hook it up. If it doesn't generate, reverse the leads. If it doesn't generate then, flash the field. Disconnect the AVR first and then reconnect to the same polarity that you flashed. When the set is generating, label the leads + & - for future reference.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

dear waross thanks.

But i wonder that as the exciter stator has two permenant magnets on it, so if i connect it in wrong direction, then I might be get those permenant magnets damaged. So, is there any other method?? because what you have told me is a little risky.

Thanks

If this has a PMG, the magnets will be rotating and the stator will feed power to the AVR.
The brushless exciter has no permanent magnets. There is some residual magnetism.
With a PMG, the polarity of the field does not matter, the AVR will output enough to overcome the residual.
If there is no PMG you need the residual magnetism to start generating. If the polarity is wrong usually the generator voltage just doesn't come up. Reverse the connections and generally the voltage will build up. If it doesn't build up, flash the field.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back