AWS D1.1 Fillet Weld WPS Qualified Thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyMY

Petroleum
Feb 7, 2023
MY
Hi All,

I would like to clarify on fillet weld qualification. I'm referring to AWS D1.1 - 2020;

Clause 6.22.2 Fillet Welds for Nontubular Connections.
"Qualification of CJP groove welds shall qualify for fillet welds. However, where only fillet weld qualification is required, see Table .6,.11."

Question;

1. Is this clause means that CJP groove welds qualify for fillet welds?
2. If yes, how to determine the qualified thickness of the fillet welds. Table 6.2 does not state any fillet qualified thickness. The only statement cover on this is in Table 10.9 Note d.

If we referring back AWS D1.1 - 2015, Table 4.2 "WPS Qualification - ...."

There was a note d " CJP groove weld qualification on any thickness shall qualify any size of fillet or PJP groove weld for any thickness"

Is this means that AWS D1.1 - 2020 remove the fillet qualification on plate?

Thanks again for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The minimum thickness of the base metal covered by AWS D1.1 is 1/8-inch.

The qualification of a CJP groove weld qualifies for both groove welds and fillet welds. The purpose of qualifying the WPS is to verify the mechanical properties of the completed weld meets the requirements of the applicable code. So, it makes sense that qualifying the WPS using a groove weld also qualifies the WPS for fillet welds.

The contractor can qualify the WPS for fillet welds only, but that says little to nothing about the mechanical properties. I don't recollect there being an upper limit on the fillet weld size qualified when the WPS is qualified using a grooved test coupon.

Al

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back