Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AWS D1.1 Table 4.5 # 31- Qualification Range & Limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petroleum
Jan 7, 2008
SG
Dear Sir
Presently I have qualified PQR with Single V welded in 3G Position
Undergone all reqd mechanical test including Impact Test at -20 deg celcius succesfully.
Base Mat- ABS Grade EH36 x 25.4mm Thk.
Filler Metal used - Kobelco LB52-E7016.

QUERY:-
Based on Table AWS D1.1-Ed 2008-4.5 # 31-
1st part "A change in groove type, ie Single-V to Double-V- straigthway -Require - New PQR for SMAW,SAW,GMAW.FCAW,GTAW to be qualified.

2nd Part - But on the same token it states that " Any CJP groove qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the requirements of 3.12 or 3.13"
Based on this 2nd part, can i write new WPS conforming to 3.12 & 3.13 Joint Type/Groove using PQR qualified with Impact Testing?

Can you pls elaborate for better understanding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on this 2nd part, can i write new WPS conforming to 3.12 & 3.13 Joint Type/Groove using PQR qualified with Impact Testing?

Yes. But you may want to consider adding an addendum of some type which includes your new joint design to your existing WPS rather than creating a new one.

Can you pls elaborate for better understanding?

The first part of 3.13 refers you to Figure 3.4. As long as your new Joint Type/Groove design is one of those found in Figure 3.4, including all applicable dimensions, your original PQR also qualifies you to weld any of these other joint types.

Dear Sir
That means I can include all joint type/groove with given joint types and grooves detail in ONE WPS attached with qulaified PQR ( with/without CVN Test Results .
Based on newly prepared WPS complying to essential and supplementary variables(if CVN reqd) to weld all joints with given groove deatails in 3.3 & 3.4

Am i right?
Thanks

You are correct, however that many joints listed in a single WPS as are listed in Figure 3.3 and 3.4 may be a bit overwhelming. I would just list the joint types in your WPS which you plan on welding in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back