Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AWS D1.1 vs. AWS D1.4 for Rebar (A706) to Embed WPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGM_123_NDT3-CWI

Materials
Feb 17, 2020
US
So, I write/witness/test hundreds of welder and procedure qualifications each year in the lab among other things, and I’m more than comfortable with interpretation of any ASME-AWS-API-AWWA-MIL STD codes.

That said, I can’t make heads or tails of which code to use for writing this WPS for #4 A706 Rebar to an A36 embed plate. The rebar is laying horizontally on the embed, making the joint a flare-bevel groove weld. So, the small sentence in D1.4 saying all fillets are prequalified is out.

When I read through the testing requirements, it’s mind blowing to see how many and what tests are required for this simple joint to develop a PQR.. especially since the rebar has a low CE and has no pre-heat requirement. It doesn’t make sense to do that much testing, even though the foreword says the code is for rebar to low grade carbon etc.

That said, if it weren’t for the base metal grouping of the rebar, you could almost assume it’s prequalified per d1.1, and if you worry about how to manage the rebar range allowed, you could follow the max weld size for pjp single pass and that would get close enough.

I’m a black and white it’s code or not guy, but it just doesn’t make any sense !!!

Any guidance or thought would be much appreciated!! (Not tooting my horn, just needed to preface so I don’t get the rookie replies that are unwarranted for this reply)

Thanks !
-J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back