Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AWS D1.1Ed-2008-4.1.3.2-Tack Welder Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petroleum
Jan 7, 2008
SG
Dear Friends

AWS D1.1Ed-2008-4.1.3.2-Period of Effectiveness
1) Code clearly says tack-welder's qualification valid indefinitely for the process and positions qualified for.
2) We also use "Low Levy 3G-SMAW-max. thk qualified is 10mm" qualified welders as tack-welders only. Their qualification also valid indefinitely for the process and position qualified for as long they perform as tack-welders only.
So does not require revalidation whatsoever
Pls advise if my understanding is correct
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"So does not require revalidation whatsoever"

If there is reason to question the welders ability to weld or they haven't used the process for a period of 6 months.
See 4.33., which applies to welders, welding operators or tacker welders.
(retest after lapse of qualification)
It appears that the lapsed period of effectiveness applies to all welders, the same as if you have a reason to question the welders ability.

" There is no Shortcut to anyplace worth going "

Do you mind if I ask a question related to tack welding qualification? What exactly is the test required for tack welders for AWS D1.1? Also, what are the tests required to evaluate the test plates? I remember looking through the AWS D1.1 and it didn't seem to be very clear. Could someone lead me to the section that describes the test and it's acceptance criteria?
Thanks,
M249Gunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back