Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AWS D17.1 compared to Mil Std 2219

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpier

Aerospace
Oct 6, 2003
US
Has anyone done a gap analysis comparing the requirements of AWS D17.1 to Mil Std 2219? The DoD has recently adopted the AWS specification to replace the old Mil spec (actually is now under the SAE I believe as SAE-AMS-MIL-STD-2219.) We are qualified to the requirements of the MIL 2219 document and need to know if the weld qualification /operator certification procedure will need to be modified.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mpier:
The revision of 2219 that I have is quite old, so I won't quote from the standard.

It is my understanding the D17.1 has superseeded SAE-AMS standards 2219 and 1595. This is according to Global Engineering Docs. who I don't have much faith in. Many of my friends in the aerospace industry are requalifying their welding personnel to the D17.1 specification just to keep current. This is often a company quality system requirement.

The weld classification (A, B or C) determines the requirement for procedure qualification under the D17.1

On a similar personnel qualification note, it used to be common practice to permit transfer of welder qualifications from one fabricator to the next, but only if they were within a 6 month period of the qualification date. Several of my former employers accepted my previous qualifications from another company, even when moving to a FAA repair station. The D17.1 specification does not permit this practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back