Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AWS E71T-11 flux core MIG wire shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
I'm wondering if leaving a roll of AWS E71T-11 flux core wire in the MIG welder in the garage leads to flux degradation.
I'm contemplating going to a 10 lb roll ( about half the price/lb of 1 and 2 lb spools).
A 10 lb spool will likely be a few years worth for me.

thanks,

Dan T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any specific reasons why you would choose flux cored wired over solid wire?
Cu coated solid wire will probably outlast you as long as it's reasonably dry in your garage.
You'll need to throw away the first few ft of FCAW wire each time if it's been some time since you last used it, and if it's not welded wire (but folded close) you're likely going to have porosities in your welds after a year or two.

I would advise removing the spool and storing it in a dry environment free from dust an other contaminants between long time of no use. Also agree with kingnero.

Tmoose said:
I'm wondering if leaving a roll of AWS E71T-11 flux core wire in the MIG welder in the garage leads to flux degradation.

Flux within the wire should not degrade if kept dry and well stored.

Keep the original packaging that the wire comes in.

Remove it from your machine after each use and return it to the original packaging.

This may include a plastic bag, which believe it or not, are not impervious to moisture. You will still need to store it in a dry area.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

I think my INNERSHIELD® NR®-211-MP is probably folded, not welded. I never noticed a seam, and will try to check.

Looks like I'm gonna stick with the small spools despite the 2X cost.

I'm going try a fresh roll soon. I'd like love to blame some recent low weld quality on the equipment.
I'll probably try to warm up the re-bagged roll a day in advance as well.

thanks all,

Dan T

If you use the welding machine and FCAW electrode so infrequently, buy yourself a "seal a meal" heat sealing machine and place the partially used spool in a plastic bag and seal it. The seal a meal (as advertised on television) evacuates the plastic bag and heat seals it. There are different bag sizes available from different industrial sources. What more can you ask for, the package is vacuum sealed, no moisture! Beautiful.

Best regards - Al

And buy a bunch of small desiccant packs (clay or silica based) to toss one in when you vacuum bag it each time.
While some welds will look fine with some moisture many will not.
Don't let something like this make your life more difficult.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Here is a tip :
i would suggest to remove wire wheel from machine when you are not using and wrap it in stretch film and be sure to have a moisture film inside of the pack you made.

this way it will last pretty well.

IWE EWE certificate holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back