Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AWS vs ASME thickness ranges for welder qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tremmy

Structural
Feb 13, 2013
US
I'm currently working on a project with a lot of common arc (boilermakers) welders, welding some structural duct work. I'm curious is an ASME qualified welder for 2G, 3G, & 4G positions that has welded a 1/2" cupon using 3 or more passes is automagically allowed to weld unlimited on AWS D1.1 code welds as well. My concern is the fact that AWS doesnt seem to regaurd how many passes you make on your weld, just the thickness of the coupon, and any cupon under 1" is maxed out at double the thickness. My co-worker however is trying to convince me that it's acceptable given that a) they've performed the test in an added position, and b) ASME likes it. Whichever case is correct I'd feel alot better being able to recite chapter and verse.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME, API, AWS, etc each have differnet criteria for welder and WPDS qualification. None are interchangable with another. Ask him to show you the clause from any code that allows cross-qualification. Don't hold your breath, tho...

The welders should be qualified to AWS standards if AWS governs the work being performed.

ASME and AWS are like apples and oranges. Both the apple and the orange are fruits, but they are very different.

ASME Section IX contains none of the visual attributes required by AWS when performing the visual examination of the "as welded" test coupon. The bend criteria of each code are different as well. Whereas the guided bend specimens can have several open discontinuities (tears, cracks, porosity, etc.) that do not have to be summed, AWS requires the sum of open discontinuities to be no greater than 3/8 inch.

Even if ASME is not as critical in the assessment of the welder’s qualification tests, the Owner, through his Engineer, can accept qualifications to ASME, NAVSEA, or even API. The decision to permit the use of ASME qualifications in lieu of AWS qualifications is the prerogative of the Owner, not the contractor.

Best regards - Al

The Engineer can accept previous qualification to other construction codes as they see fit. If not than it is best for quality and documentation stand points to have the welders qualified in accordance with the code of construction being used.

Thickness limits for welder differ in ASME & AWS

ASME---- 13mm with multiple passes qualifies a welder for -Max to be welded -- talks about weldmetal not base metal
AWS------ 25mm base metal (Not weld metal) qualifies a welder for unlimited base metal thickness.

ASME qualified welders using on AWS works purely depends on owner or owner appointed engineer

Pandithan

The D1.1 rules on preparation of qualification forms also throw some nice subtleties into the mix, such as the requirement of the WPS used for performance qualification to meet all of the essential variable requirements in clause 4, which to qualify in accordance with both ASME IX and D1.1, requires one very ugly mish-mosh of a WPS, though it is doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back