Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axial Load in a cable due to a perpendicular or normal force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrescottEngineer

Structural
Jun 3, 2010
US
Simplified Situation

I have two cantilevered steel columns that are spaced apart from one another. I have a steel cable running from column to column. If I apply a load perpendicular or normal to the cable, how do I determine the axial force in the cable?

Actual situation

I have five cantilevered 3" STD steel pipe columns with (3)-3/8"Ø cables running between the columns. There are two bladders used for rain water collection. When both bladders are full they push against one another and everything is fine. When only one bladder is full, the cables will support the bladder. The first and last column will take out of plane forces and all the axial force, the central columns will only take out of plane forces.

So my question, as stated above is, if I apply a load perpendicular or normal to the cable, how do I determine the axial force in the cable?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This thread has what you are looking for I think. It is basically a iterative solution whereby you guess a deflection and resolve the forces and calculate the actual deflection under load and compare. We've turned it into a spreadsheet here. The only thing is that thread is for a point load applied on the cable however the theory is extremely similar for a uniform load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back