Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Axial Vessel flanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigander

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2006
US
I have a vessel thats essentially going to be a large soup can. The vessel is going to be split longitudinally into halves, so I need flanges that run, in essence, the length of the vessel. Are there any design aids or resources out there?

Thanks in advance,

Michigander.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MJC;

Its a 36" dia x 84" lg rated at 300 psi. There is a valid process reason to flange it this way. For other reasons, we are looking at building a unit length mock up so I'd like to try and get close with hand calcs.

Thanks!

You are looking to design a vessel on the line of a split sleeve pipe repair clamp. Length is no problem the end closure is going to be the mountain to climb.
I have seen some papers on the design and application of this product but I don't know if there is a design standard and if there is the end closure is still the problem.

If you purchase these clamps from any manufacturer they are not cheap so you can expect to sink a few dollars in the design and build. As stated above FEA is almost must have especially for the end closure.

Addenda:
There might be a way to add a head by using an ASME head with a long flange section, I'm thinking.

I will need bolted flat heads for the ends. Its an interesting intersection where the bolted blind joins the longitudinal flanges. I think we'll just go the FEA route.

Thanks for all the help...

Michigander

The longitudinal flange works barely in bending, so it's not difficult to calculate it by hand (and modeling it in FEM is not necessarily simpler).
However you'll need to account for a major difference with respect to ring flanges: with these the bending stress in the wall is secondary, as the flange resists the loads alone. In the longitudinal flange the flange is not autonomous in resisting bending, so the bending stress in the wall becomes primary.
Likely ribs will be required, as bending will tend to raise thicknesses too much, so proving conformance to code might become a nightmare. The use of clamps instead of bolts might help in reducing the lever arms and the thicknesses.
The intersection of longitudinal and circumferential flanges is more a problem of tightness, than of calculation (unless of course you need to check to fatigue, good luck in that case...)

prex
: Online engineering calculations
: Magnetic brakes and launchers for fun rides
: Air bearing pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back