Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Axis alignment detection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtiuser2

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2015
CA
I am looking for a fast and easy to detect the alignment (misalignment w.r.t horizontal plain) of the wood shaft (10mm diameter, 20cm long) which enters a work area. The shaft is to be fed along the its axis direction with feed rate of around 10 ft/s. The accuracy should be within 0.2 mm per ft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have any potential solutions, but I expect the people who do will want to know:

Are you trying to measure a translation away from the plane, or the angle between the shaft axis and the plane (or both)?

Do you need to quantify the misalignment, or just provide a go/no go signal?

If you need to quantify the misalignment, what range of misalignments must the solution be able to cope with?​

A.

I image the detector will be calibrated to setup the perfect plane (say X) as reference. The shaft came in will be checked against the plane for displacement and rotation as store the misalignment value. The detector should be able to measure linear displacement of +/-10mm and angular misalignment of +/-10 degree.

The shaft length is about 5 ft long and they will be fed into the work area continuously, hence, there is no possibility to mounting anything on the wood. i don't think digital vernier can measure moving object. I was thinking about remote sensing through optical measures (e.g. laser, camera....etc).

How about this for conveyor rollers ?
Screenshot_from_2021-01-21_18-52-56_hrnted.png

Now think about what you are feeding the wood shafts to and what that does to the problem statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back