Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axis pattern not working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameistaken

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2014
MX
I have little experiencie with proE but I have experience in solidedge, NX and solidworks. so the proE logics sometimes escape my mind.

What i want to do:
Place 4 "L" brackets in the external face of the round part.​
What i did:
I created a round feature of a sketch to create the first bracket. axis on the center of the round part.
After that i tried to create an Axis pattern to place the remaining 3 brackets​

Results:
Depending on the method prefered i obtained no result, failed geometry and also offset brackets in the vertical axis.​

Im using ProE wildfire 5.
see attached files with various combinations resulting in failure.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=aba3a7bc-0428-4c99-ae18-3b42ed2c24c2&file=ProE_axis_pattern.zip
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just constrain the bottom leg of your first sketch to the bottom surface.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Pro/E is pretty fussy about fully defining/constraining things. I don't know why they are moving around but I never use axis patterns. As an old school Pro/E user, I will always create a sketching plane through the axis that has an angle dimension then use a dimension pattern. That used to be the only way you could do it so I still do it that way. These newfangled types of patterns have some drawbacks. For one thing, if you do an axis pattern of holes, you will not be able to show a bolt circle axis in a drawing.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Yeah, i think i read that old school method for circular patterns somewhere else. I should do it that way. I just had some hope this issue was not there anymore :S

Thanks a lot ;)

Unless there's a specific reason, don't make your sketches 'separate' from the feature that uses them. That's what seems to be causing your pattern problem (notice that the pattern elements are spaced down one sketch length).

To fix it, try this:
-delete the pattern (only the pattern) so that 'Revolve 2' is no longer being patterned.
-in the Model Tree, right click on 'Revolve 2' and select 'Edit Definition'.
-from the Ribbon, select 'Placement', which brings up a menu showing the 'Sketch 6' is the source for the sketch.
-click on 'Unlink', which essentially copies 'Sketch 6' into the revolve feature and breaks the link between them.
-re-create your pattern. When I did this, it was fine.

Thanks for the reply Gilmiril,

I did what you described, i keep having the same offset issue. (only in the files i attached here).

i did "save as" in another file and recreated those features again(before sketch 6) and everything worked fine, even without unlinking the sketch.
Also "copy>paste special>translate" also worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back