Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axisymmetric elements in NX Nastran 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

brailos

Feb 7, 2012
RO
I am trying to make an axisymmetric mesh of a cylinder shape, very simple.I have the revolving section of the cylinder. Does anyone know how do you mesh that surface with axysimmetric elements like CQUADX4, 8 or CTRIAX3 or 6? Because i can fin these elements in the help manual describing their functions but i don;t see anywhere in the help where exactly in the preprocessing part you can find them. I spent a lot of time looking for them and i must say that they do not exist in the preprocessor. Indeed you can create a SOL 101 Axysimmetric solution but it does not help you , normal CQUAD and CTRIA elements are not appliable for this axysimmetric solution.

Am i doing something wrong?
Am i looking in the wrong place?
I have searched NX up and down in every menu, these type of elements are not available.

Is this a bug or ???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello!,
Well, I understand the question is for NX Advanced Simulation FE preprocessor (NX NASTRAN is the solver!!). Not any problem/bug exist, Advanced Simulation supports axisymmetric structural, axisymmetric thermal, and axisymmetric thermal-structural analyses. Axisymmetry occurs when a geometric part is a body of revolution and the loads and constraints acting on the part are only radial and axial (cylindrical, with no tangential component) and when the radial and axial components also are constant in the tangential direction. Then the first option is to select the correct analysis type.

You need to make sure your model is oriented to work in the Z-X plane, because axisymmetric elements are defined in the X-Z basic coordinate system, and are supported in solutions 101, 103, 105, 106 (hyperelastic), 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 153, 159 and 601.

The axisymmetric elements CTRAX3, CQUADX4, CTRAX6, CQUADX8, CTRIAX6, CTRIAX, and CQUADX define a solid ring by sweeping a surface defined on a plane through a circular arc. Loads are constant with azimuth for these elements; that is, only the zeroth harmonic is considered.

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back