Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Azimuthal Variation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantill

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2003
GB
Hi all

could anyone tell me specifically which direction is referred to by Azimuthal when talking about bore holes and wells

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no idea but being a surveyor in our parlance azimuth is the direction (or angle from true north or south depending on which hemisphere)

Sometimes azimuth is referred to magnetic north and hence the variation between true north and magnetic north may possibly be regarded as the azimuth variation?

These are just guesses - But I would suggest that whoever wrote the report be approached for clarification of the use of this term - your question being associated with wells etc may possibly refer to the difference between the centre of the well at the top and the bottom thus giving an indication of how plumb it is ? The Azimuth variation being the direction of the one centre versus the other - in that case the report should also talk about a distance between these two points?

Sorry I cannot give a definite answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back