Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]Brine Tank Materials[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PW2006

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2006
US
We need some large (~1000-bbls) brine storage tanks (outdoor service). But it seems that brine tanks are all FRP tanks. This is not convenient for us and they are expensive.

My question is if we can use a welded steel tank plus certain protective coating or liner for this purpose? If we can, what coating/liner materials should we use and how good are they?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would go FRP, no maintenance, no worries. The costs should not be prohibitive. Coating installation, maintenance ccost, and reliability should justify it.

Good Luck

I am disinclined in using brand names, but probably you will not have access to them due to your geographical location. However, you can google them and find similar.
We have a very large number of 400 - 1000bbl tanks, most of them insulated due to weather. The fluids we handle are quite often brines or caustics.
The internal coating I prefer is Devchem253, the external just a primer (as I said, they are insulated).
The abovementioned coating will suffice for brine.
The tanks are built to API 12F or API 650 standards, steel welded.
The cost of one of those in my area, excluding insulation and internals (raisers, coils, etc...) would be somewhere between $60,000 to $80,000 (750's & 1000's)

If you decide on a steel tank plus coating please design the steel tank with subsequent coating in mind - - don't just call in the lining people as an afterthought.There are appropriate Standards to guide you.
Cheers CM

An FRP tank is going to be less expensive on a first cost and well as for the maintenance costs than a properly constructed lined steel tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back