Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

[b]Cooling System for Fluid Power Application[b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2003
CA
Hello Guys,
I am beginner in designing fluid power applicaton. I need your expertise advice for the problem we have now.
We are designing some electrohydraulic system for spooling cable. The system will equiped with 2 discbrakes for controlling the cable tension, Hydraulic accumulator, one hydraulic motor, one hydraulic pump & 11 kW electric motor as power source.
The system almost finish unless the heat exchangers for cooling system.
I have no idea to size the cooling system.
We planned to make some air cooled HE, with fan installed on shaft of Elect. Motor & Hyd. Pump. And Circular tubing with fin at the outer side of fan. The size of tubing is about 1/2 " ID.
I need some formula to size the diameter of circular tubing and how much circle i should build.
(The power loss which is converted to heat, estimated will be about 25 % of Power Supply (2.75 kW))

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi there, a few tips hopefully they will be of help.
New system.
1. pump loss 15% of input power.
2. motor loss 15% of input power.
3. R/V loss BTU/HR average ( 1.5 x PSI x GPM )
4. Flow control loss use press diff across in to out as PSI in calculation.
5. Press reducing loss if any use same calculation as above.
6. Total all losses this will give a fair heat loss for the system.
7. Calculate heat radiation from tank, take into account ambient and the temp to be maintained, Match the heat radiated from the tank and the calculated heat load, this will show whether you need additional cooling.

As a rule of thumb 25% of input power to take care of all miscellaneous losses, after this estimation, a 1/3rd of heat is radiated from piping and cylinders, pumps, motors.
the remainder is radiated from the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back