Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B31.3 and/or CSA Z662 - Pressure/Leak Testing on Threaded Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

302Hugo

Petroleum
Aug 23, 2006
CA
Pressure/Leak testing has always confused me and I'm hoping someone can give me the likely easy answer? Testing requirements (the basics) are relatively the same for both B31.3 and CSA Z662 so I assume the answer doesn't change between the two?

I think the answer is simple but thought I would get input. For threaded piping we still need to complete a leak and pressure test? We can test two separate piping assemblies in the shop and then assemble on site...both for flanged and threaded? AND if we have to cut and rethread a portion of the threaded piping, this must be re-pressure tested, correct? Similar to if we cut and reweld a flange on, correct?

As well, in B31.3 we don't have to leak or pressure test drain piping...but in CSA Z662 I believe we still need to complete a leak test, correct?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Another question without any basis.
Where is this project located?
What are the local Codes, Rules, Laws and Standards regarding this subject?
What is the commodity?
What is the Operating Pressure?
What is the Operating Temperature?
What is the Client's position on this subject?
What is the position of the local AI (Authorized Inspector) on this subject?

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

Where is this project located? - My question is just based on B31.3 and Z662, and at this point I'm not looking at any jurisdictional regulations.
What are the local Codes, Rules, Laws and Standards regarding this subject? - As above
What is the commodity? - Normal Fluid Service
What is the Operating Pressure? - >700 kPa
What is the Operating Temperature? - Normal fluid service (say 50C)
What is the Client's position on this subject? - Doesn't matter, I'm looking for an interpretation of the code of fellow forum members.
What is the position of the local AI (Authorized Inspector) on this subject? - Doesn't matter, I'm looking for an interpretation of the code of fellow forum members.

302Hugo,
All joints require leak testing so a cut and rethread would require retesting - whether that is the entire system or an isolated section is up to you.
Cheers,
DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back