Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B31.3 Table 323.3.1 A-4 Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gapinspect

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2008
CA
I see this has been discussed before but with no real answer. The background is: In accordance to B31.3 Table 323.3.1 A-4 requires that a specimen is prepared as "One required for each welding procedure, for each type of filler metal (i.e., AWS E-XXXX classification), and for each flux to be used." (in this case 6010/7018).
It is common industry practice and allowed by Section IX to due this in one combined specimen (IX-92-42). However I cannot find any interpretation or code reference saying that for B31.3 that this is allowed. Just because it is commonly done, does not make it acceptable by code.

Reference threads are: 292-232721 and 330-353515

The question is:
Is anyone aware of a code interpretation or code wording that allows a single set of weld impact test specimens be used to qualify two or more filler metals for B31.3 applications?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, not for the 2008 edition of B31.3. Why don't you submit an inquiry to B31.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back