Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B31.3 vs. B31.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabre61

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2002
US
The majority of our piping is per B31.3 but on one particular job it is specified as B31.1. The customer specification also calls for 5% radiography on the butt welds per B31.1. After reviewing B31.1 it does not appear to specify a % of welds to x-ray if you meet the criteria specified in Table 1 so I assume it is all of the welds meeting this criteria. The design conditions of this particular job would not require any x-ray in themselves other than the addittional 5% requirement of the customer specification. The problem is what to do if an x-ray is deemed unacceptable. B31.3 requires 2 additional x-rays for the rejected one where as B31.1 does not appear to require this (I assume this because the code itself would already require all of the welds x-rayed if you where x-raying based on only the code). I would assume that the rejected weld needs to be repaired and shot again but do not see any requirement for additional shots. Not being familiar with B31.1 I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of an issue.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B31.3 Para.341.4 shows examples of NDE using radiography.
Chapter VI in B31.3 will list all inspections but B31.3 will not tell you to what extent you must use as a % of NDE.
ASME B31.3 is a standard to follow. Most companies require you to follow B31.3 as a minimum requirement.
If you have shot a weld an it has tested bad the general rule is to repair the weld, then shoot the next three welds the welder makes.

B31.3 Para. 341.4.1 (1) does say at least 5% of fabrication must be tested with radiography. Some clients may require 10%. It all depends on what the service is. Catagory D may not require any testing other than visual & service test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back