Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B31.3 Xray 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob74r

Industrial
Nov 25, 2009
CA
Strange questions regarding failed X-Ray Tracers.
Had disagreement the other regarding when tracers should be shot and am having a hard time finding my required information
Everywhere I have worked has always shot prior on welds to the weld that failed which to me makes sense to me.
Started with a new company and they want to shot tracers one welds completed after the weld failed which I have major misgivings about.
Is there anywhere in code that states if tracers need to be completed prior or after the weld that failed?
Stupid question but any help thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clause 341.3.4 just says that for each failed examination, two additional samples of the same kind, by the same welder, shall be given the same examination.

You might want to look at ES-48 "Random Examination" published by the Pipe Fabrication Institute as I think it talks about these procedures. unfortunately, I don't yet have a copy so am not 100% on this though.

While Code doesn't appear to address the issue, certainly if I were the client I would want the additional samples to be from a time period before the welder knew that the weld had failed and tracers were going to be shot as otherwise they may not be representative of that "lot".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back